German Carrot-Hazelnut Cake
- 5 large eggs, separated
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 2/3 cups finely grated carrot
- 2 2/3 cups ground hazelnuts or pecans
- 2/3 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- Chocolate Glaze
- Beat egg whites and salt at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, beating until stiff.
- Beat egg yolks and 1/4 cup hot water at medium-high speed until foamy. Gradually add remaining 2/3 cup sugar; beat 3 minutes or until thick and pale.
- Stir carrot and next 7 ingredients into yolk mixture; fold in egg white mixture. Pour batter into a lightly greased 10-inch springform pan.
- Bake at 325° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove sides of pan, and cool completely on a wire rack. Spread top and sides with Chocolate Glaze.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts