- Pastry for 1 double-crust (9-inch) pie
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups peeled, sliced fresh peaches
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
How to Make It
Roll half of pastry to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Set aside.
Combine sugar, tapioca, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add peaches, and toss gently to coat. Stir in almond extract. Pour peach mixture into pastry shell; dot with butter.
Roll remaining pastry to 1/8- inch thickness, and place over filling. Trim edges; seal and flute. Cut slits in top crust to allow steam to escape. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°, and bake an additional 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.