- 3/4 pound dried lima beans (see notes)
- 1 leek (about 1 1/4 in. wide)
- 1/4 pound thin-sliced pancetta, finely chopped
- About 12 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1 can (49 1/2 oz.) fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
- 1 Yukon Gold or other thin-skinned potato (1/2 lb.), scrubbed, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 carrots (6 oz. total), rinsed, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3 cups finely shredded cabbage (7 to 8 oz.)
- 3 cups thinly sliced Swiss chard (7 to 8 oz.)
- 1/3 pound green beans, ends and strings removed, rinsed, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound zucchini, ends trimmed, rinsed, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- Pesto alla genovese
- Salt and pepper
- calories 331
- caloriesfromfat 71 %
- protein 9.2 g
- fat 26 g
- satfat 5.4 g
- carbohydrate 18 g
- fiber 3.8 g
- sodium 287 mg
- cholesterol 9.6 mg
How to Make It
Sort lima beans, discarding debris. Rinse beans, put in a 3- to 4-quart pan, and add 1 1/2 quarts water. Bring to a boil over high heat; remove from heat and let stand at least 1 hour or overnight. Drain beans, add 1 1/2 quarts water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender to bite, about 20 minutes. Drain beans; reserve liquid.
Meanwhile, trim and discard stem end and tough green top from leek; peel off and discard tough outer layer. Cut leek in half lengthwise and hold under cold running water, flipping layers to rinse well. Thinly slice crosswise.
In an 8- to 10-quart pan over medium heat, frequently stir pancetta in 2 tablespoons olive oil just until limp, about 2 minutes. Add leek, onion, celery, and parsley; stir often over medium-high heat until vegetables begin to brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
To pan, add 2 1/2 cups reserved bean-cooking liquid (save remainder for other uses or discard), drained beans, broth, tomatoes with juice, potatoes, and carrots. Bring to a boil over high heat; cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
Add cabbage, Swiss chard, green beans, and zucchini; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until all vegetables are very tender to bite, 20 to 25 minutes longer.
Ladle soup equally into bowls; spoon 1 tablespoon olive oil and about 1/2 tablespoon pesto alla genovese into each portion. Serve with remaining pesto and salt and pepper to add to taste.