- 1 pound cranberry beans, shelled (1 cup)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 cups tomato juice
- 1 large cucumber-peeled, halved, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 large scallion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 pound sea scallops
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 6 large slices peasant bread
- 1 large garlic clove
How to Make It
In a medium saucepan, cook the cranberry beans in boiling water until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and transfer to a plate. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, combine the tomato juice with the cucumber, yellow pepper, onion, fennel, jalapeño, scallion and 2 tablespoons of the cilantro. Add the beans, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Stir the lime and lemon zest and juice into the soup. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
Light a grill. Thread the scallops and shrimp on skewers, brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over a medium-hot fire until lightly charred, about 2 minutes per side. Generously brush the bread with olive oil and grill over a medium-hot fire until lightly charred, about 1 minute per side. Rub the bread with the garlic clove.
Stir the remaining 2 tablespoons of cilantro into the soup. Serve the gazpacho with the seafood and bread.