Everyone loves this salad! It is a great way to use those fresh garden veggies. It has become a summer favorite at our house.
This colorful salad combines the best of the classic Spanish soup, gazpacho, and the Italian bread salad, panzanella. Chop the vegetables and toast the bread cubes ahead of time, but toss the salad right before serving because the bread will soak up the juices and become soggy if it sits too long. If you prefer a drier panzanella, simply add less dressing. Use olive oil-flavored cooking spray if you have it.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 294
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 26.9g
- Carbohydrate: 29.6g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 553mg
- Calcium: 68mg
- 4 ounces French bread, cut into (1/2-inch) cubes
- Cooking spray
- 3 1/2 cups chopped seeded tomato (about 2 pounds)
- 2 cups chopped skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast meat
- 1 3/4 cups chopped seeded cucumber (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare salad, arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Lightly coat bread cubes with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once. Set aside.
- Place tomato, chicken, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, and parsley in a large bowl; toss gently to combine.
- To prepare dressing, combine the juice and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle over salad, tossing gently to coat. Stir in bread cubes; let stand for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note