- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes (about 3 medium)
- 1 (2-inch) chunk of French or Italian bread, preferably day-old
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped, optional
- 1/2 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- About 1/4 cup water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or red wine vinegar
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 1 green or red pepper, seeded and cubed
How to Make It
Peel tomatoes using a small, sharp knife. Core and cut into quarters.
Soak the bread in water for 2 minutes, then squeeze out the excess moisture.
Place tomatoes, moistened bread, cucumbers, pepper, garlic, onion, olive oil, water, 1 tablespoon of the sherry vinegar, and a pinch of salt into a large bowl; mix well. Transfer the vegetable mixture in batches to a food processor or a blender, and purée until almost smooth. Taste for seasoning; add additional sherry vinegar and salt if necessary. Serve with the raw vegetable garnishes in small bowls.
How kids can help: Place the veggie mixture in the unplugged food processor, and push the button to purée; put the garnishes in bowls.