This is a good, solid recipe. What makes it good is the addition of vinegar, lemon and hot sauce to the vegetable juice. You can also use whatever vegetables you have available or like and the recipe will still be good.
More From Southern Living
Chill: 8 Hours
- 8 large tomatoes
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 1 small purple onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 (32-ounce) bottle vegetable juice
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 to 3 teaspoons hot sauce
- Toppings: sour cream, avocado slices, croutons, boiled shrimp, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped fresh mint
- Garnish: green and yellow baby tomatoes, fresh basil sprigs
- Peel tomatoes and cucumbers. Cut tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, and onion into quarters. Remove and discard cucumber and bell pepper seeds.
- Process vegetables, jalapeno pepper, and garlic in a blender or food processor until almost smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Transfer mixture to a large bowl, and stir in vegetable juice and next 6 ingredients. Cover and chill, stirring often, 8 hours. Serve with toppings, if desired. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews