Garlicky Steak Salad with Chickpeas and Artichokes
No need to be alarmed about all the garlic--the orange juice and soy sauce mellow it out.
More From Sunset
Hands On: 45 Minutes
- Calories: 451
- Calories from fat: 54%
- Protein: 29g
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 6.5g
- Carbohydrate: 24g
- Fiber: 8.7g
- Sodium: 801mg
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- About 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- About 1 1/2 tsp. pepper, divided
- 1 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 10 tablespoon orange juice, divided
- 1 flank steak (1 1/2 lbs.), silverskin trimmed*
- 12 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 oranges, sliced crosswise
- 2 pkg. (8 oz. each) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 10 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 qts. mixed baby greens
- 2 qts. baby arugula
- 2 cans (15.5 oz. each) chickpeas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 1. Whisk together 1 tsp. each salt and pepper, the soy sauce, and 6 tbsp. orange juice in a small bowl.
- 2. Make deep slices 1/2 to 3/4 in. apart across the grain into one side of flank steak, making sure not to cut all the way through and leaving a 1/4 in. uncut edge around steak. Stuff slices evenly with garlic. Arrange half the orange slices in a 9- by 13-in. baking dish and set steak, garlic side up, on top. Arrange remaining orange slices over meat and pour soy marinade over them. Cover dish and chill steak at least 3 and up to 24 hours; let stand at room temperature during last 30 minutes.
- 3. Heat a grill to high (450° to 550°). Skewer artichokes on two 10-in. metal skewers, brush with 2 tbsp. oil, and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- 4. Oil cooking grate with a wad of oiled paper towels, using tongs. Lay steak on grate, garlic side up (discard oranges); grill, covered, carefully turning once (some garlic will fall out), 6 to 8 minutes total for medium-rare. Transfer steak to a board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest 5 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, grill artichokes, turning once, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes total. Transfer to a plate and remove from skewers.
- 6. Whisk together remaining 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper, 1/4 cup orange juice, and 1/2 cup oil, the orange zest, and vinegar in a small bowl. Thinly slice steak diagonally across the grain.
- 7. Toss baby greens, arugula, chickpeas, green onions, and parmesan in a large bowl with about half the dressing. Transfer salad to a platter or plates, top with steak and artichokes, and drizzle with remaining dressing.
- *Silverskin is the thin, shiny connective tissue on the outside of the meat that gets stringy when it cooks. Remove it with a sharp knife, or ask a butcher to do it.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note