These were delicious and so easy!! I was worried that without a sauce they might be bland but there were incredibly flavorful. I will make them again when I have guests over.
Garlicky Shrimp-Cilantro Tacos (Tacos de Camarones al Mojo de Ajo)
Sweet onions and shrimp meet the gentle heat of garlic and chiles. Prep and Cook Time: about 35 minutes. Notes: Vegetables can be cooked up to 2 hours ahead, then reheated. Serrano chiles can be very hot, so add to taste. To heat tortillas, wrap in a kitchen towel and microwave until warm and soft, about 60 seconds.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 243
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Protein: 15g
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Sodium: 197mg
- Cholesterol: 95mg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound white onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 or 3 serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced (see Notes)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 1/2 pounds shrimp (21 to 25 per lb.), peeled, deveined, and halved lengthwise
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt
- 32 corn tortillas, warmed (5 to 6 in.; see Notes)
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add onions and chiles and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Pour vegetables into a bowl and set aside.
- 2. Melt butter in same frying pan over medium-high heat, add garlic, and stir until sizzling, about 1 minute. Add half of shrimp to pan. Stir often until shrimp are bright pink and no longer wet-looking in thickest part (cut to test), about 5 minutes; transfer shrimp to bowl with reserved vegetables. Add remaining shrimp to pan and cook as above, then return cooked shrimp and vegetables to pan and stir everything together until hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cilantro and salt to taste.
- 3. Serve shrimp in a large bowl with tortillas (use 2 tortillas, stacked, per taco), accompanied by lime wedges to squeeze over top.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per taco.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
People En Español