- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound white onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 or 3 serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced (see Notes)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 1/2 pounds shrimp (21 to 25 per lb.), peeled, deveined, and halved lengthwise
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt
- 32 corn tortillas, warmed (5 to 6 in.; see Notes)
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- calories 243
- caloriesfromfat 32 %
- protein 15 g
- fat 8.5 g
- satfat 2.5 g
- carbohydrate 28 g
- fiber 3.1 g
- sodium 197 mg
- cholesterol 95 mg
How to Make It
Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add onions and chiles and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Pour vegetables into a bowl and set aside.
Melt butter in same frying pan over medium-high heat, add garlic, and stir until sizzling, about 1 minute. Add half of shrimp to pan. Stir often until shrimp are bright pink and no longer wet-looking in thickest part (cut to test), about 5 minutes; transfer shrimp to bowl with reserved vegetables. Add remaining shrimp to pan and cook as above, then return cooked shrimp and vegetables to pan and stir everything together until hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cilantro and salt to taste.
Serve shrimp in a large bowl with tortillas (use 2 tortillas, stacked, per taco), accompanied by lime wedges to squeeze over top.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per taco.