Delicious, nutritious and super easy to make!
Garlicky Red Lentil Dal
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Melanie J. Clarke
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 97
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 2.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 6.3g
- Carbohydrate: 13.8g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 265mg
- Calcium: 17mg
- 1 cup dried small red lentils
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Drain; discard bay leaf. Place lentils in a small bowl.
- Combine 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, salt, turmeric, paprika, and red pepper in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in spice mixture, tomato, and garlic; cook 2 minutes or until slightly thick. Remove pan from heat; stir in lentils, lemon juice, and black pepper. Place lentil mixture in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat, and add 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds. Sauté seeds for 15 seconds, and drizzle over dal. Sprinkle with fresh mint.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Garlicky Red Lentil Dal Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This