I served this for Easter and while everyone declared it good (or at least ate their portions), it still seemed a bit bland to me. I ended up using a boneless cut, unrolling it to season the inside and outside and then re-rolling and tying it to marinate overnight. I added 15 minutes to the cook time but it was still quite rare in the middle. The outside of the roast had good flavor and it was overall very moist and tender, but the flavor hadn't penetrated the meat. I didn't bother with the sauce. I liked the combination of flavors and would probably try this again, but next time I would mince the garlic and add it, along with the salt and pepper, to the marinade.
Garlicky Leg of Lamb with Yogurt Sauce
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 276
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 37.8g
- Carbohydrate: 2.2g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 114mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 259mg
- Calcium: 33mg
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 (6-pound) bone-in leg of lamb, trimmed
- 10 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup diced English cucumber
- 1/4 cup diced plum tomato
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl. Cut 20 (3/4-inch-deep) slits in lamb. Press 1 garlic half into each slit. Rub lamb with lemon mixture. Cover and marinate in refrigerator at least 5 hours.
- 2. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 3. Sprinkle lamb with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place lamb on a wire rack coated with cooking spray; place rack in a roasting pan. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes. Bake lamb at 450° for 20 minutes.
- 4. Reduce oven temperature to 375° (do not remove lamb).
- 5. Bake an additional 55 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 130°. Let stand for 15 minutes; cut across the grain into slices.
- 6. Combine yogurt and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Serve with lamb.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes