tasty! had garlic herb butter on hand that i spread on the outside of bread. used remainders of cheddar, pepper jack and mozzarella, sprinkled with hormel bacon bits and stuck spinach leaves in the middle. daughter (20) hasn't eaten grilled cheese since preschool and said this was awesome!! i think i just found a new sandwich!!! served with homemade tomato soup.
Garlicky Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Spinach
Photo: Brian Woodcock; Styling: Cindy Barr
Have your grilled cheese without the guilt! The garlic flavor pairs nicely with the cheese, bacon, and greens.
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 sandwich)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 300
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated fat: 5.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 16g
- Carbohydrate: 33g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 716mg
- Calcium: 279mg
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 4 cups baby arugula leaves
- 4 center-cut bacon slices, halved
- 8 (1-ounce) rustic Italian bread slices
- 2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 ounces fontina cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add garlic to pan; sauté 1 minute. Add spinach and arugula; stir until wilted. Remove spinach mixture from pan. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add bacon; cook until crisp. Remove bacon.
- 2. Top 4 bread slices evenly with cheeses, bacon pieces, spinach mixture, and the remaining 4 bread slices.
- 3. Heat pan over medium heat. Add sandwiches to drippings in pan; weigh down with a plate. Cook 2 minutes on each side.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note