Garlicky "Fried" Vegetables
More From Southern Living
Stand: 5 Minutes
Bake: 35 Minutes
- 1 small green tomato, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 (8-ounce) container button mushrooms, stems removed
- 1/2 pound whole okra
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1/4 cup cornstarch, sifted
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 large egg whites
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Horseradish Sauce
- Place tomato slices on paper towels; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Place tomatoes, zucchini, and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Sprinkle evenly with Creole seasoning and cornstarch; shake to remove excess.
- Combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl. Whisk 3 egg whites in a small bowl until frothy. Dip half of vegetables in egg whites, draining excess. Dredge vegetables, in batches, in breadcrumb mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining egg whites, vegetables, and breadcrumb mixture.
- Arrange vegetables on wire racks coated with cooking spray; place racks on aluminum foil-lined pans. (Do not overlap vegetables.)
- Bake at 400° for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately with Horseradish Sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note