This marinade is easy, simple and amazing! We didn't have time to cook it after 24 hours so we lett it set for another day, and this is the best tri tip I have ever made. This will be our new recipe for when we have company over.
Garlic-Rubbed Tri-Tip with Mint Caper Salsa
Photo: Maren Caruso; Styling: Robyn Valarik
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 422
- Calories from fat: 64%
- Protein: 34g
- Fat: 31g
- Saturated fat: 7.9g
- Carbohydrate: 2g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Sodium: 337mg
- Cholesterol: 100mg
- 10 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 boneless tri-tip roasts (2 to 2 1/2 lbs. each)
- MINT CAPER SALSA
- 3/4 cup each roughly chopped parsley and mint
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 tablespoon each lemon zest and juice
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Sprinkle garlic with salt and mince to combine, then mash to a paste with flat side of chef's knife. In a small bowl, mix paste with paprika, pepper, and 2 tbsp. oil. Spread paste all over tri-tips. Wrap meat in plastic wrap and chill at least 24 hours and up to 2 days.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Scrape excess marinade from meat. Heat remaining 1 tbsp. oil in a large, ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown tri-tips on one side only, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn meat over in pan; then set in oven and roast until internal temperature reaches 125° for medium-rare, about 20 minutes. Let meat rest, uncovered, on a cutting board 15 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, make salsa: Put all salsa ingredients in a food processor and pulse several times to combine into a rough sauce.
- 4. Slice each tri-tip thinly across the grain, rotating the meat to keep knife perpendicular to the grain (it changes direction on tri-tip). Serve with salsa.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes