- 10 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 boneless tri-tip roasts (2 to 2 1/2 lbs. each)
- MINT CAPER SALSA
- 3/4 cup each roughly chopped parsley and mint
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 tablespoon each lemon zest and juice
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- calories 422
- caloriesfromfat 64 %
- protein 34 g
- fat 31 g
- satfat 7.9 g
- carbohydrate 2 g
- fiber 0.5 g
- sodium 337 mg
- cholesterol 100 mg
How to Make It
Sprinkle garlic with salt and mince to combine, then mash to a paste with flat side of chef's knife. In a small bowl, mix paste with paprika, pepper, and 2 tbsp. oil. Spread paste all over tri-tips. Wrap meat in plastic wrap and chill at least 24 hours and up to 2 days.
Preheat oven to 350°. Scrape excess marinade from meat. Heat remaining 1 tbsp. oil in a large, ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown tri-tips on one side only, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn meat over in pan; then set in oven and roast until internal temperature reaches 125° for medium-rare, about 20 minutes. Let meat rest, uncovered, on a cutting board 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, make salsa: Put all salsa ingredients in a food processor and pulse several times to combine into a rough sauce.
Slice each tri-tip thinly across the grain, rotating the meat to keep knife perpendicular to the grain (it changes direction on tri-tip). Serve with salsa.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.