This recipe is not worth the two hours it takes to prepare/cook. I found the flavor to be lacking and the combination of vegatables to be just ok. There are much better potato recipes out there to be wasting your time on this one. I will not be making this again.
Garlic-Roasted Potatoes and Fennel
Photo: Karry Hosford
The Spanish smoked paprika known as pimenton gives a lovely smoky flavor to this side dish.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 177
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 6.5g
- Carbohydrate: 38.9g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 489mg
- Calcium: 80mg
- 2 large fennel bulbs with stalks, (about 2 pounds)
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, halved
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 whole garlic head
- 2 large green bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika or sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Trim tough outer leaves from fennel; reserve fennel fronds for garnish, if desired. Remove and discard stalks. Cut fennel bulbs in half lengthwise; discard core. Cut bulb halves in half lengthwise.
- Arrange potatoes in a single layer in a jelly roll pan or large roasting pan coated with cooking spray; drizzle with oil. Remove white papery skin from garlic head. Separate and peel cloves. Finely chop 1 garlic clove; sprinkle over potatoes. Add peeled garlic cloves, pepper strips, fennel seeds, coriander, paprika, salt, and black pepper to potatoes; toss well to combine.
- Heat broth in a small saucepan over medium heat until warm. Remove from heat; stir in saffron. Let stand 10 minutes. Stir in vinegar; drizzle broth mixture over potato mixture. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and arrange fennel wedges over potato mixture. Return to oven; cook an additional 50 minutes or until the broth mixture almost evaporates and potatoes begin to brown, stirring once. Garnish with reserved fennel fronds, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Garlic-Roasted Potatoes and Fennel Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This