- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 4 whole garlic bulbs, separated into cloves, peeled, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Merlot or other dry red wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
How to Make It
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onions and next 3 ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes or until onions are golden and very tender.
Add Merlot and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until almost all liquid evaporates. Remove from heat, and stir in vinegar, rosemary, and pepper. Cool to room temperature.