Photo: William Dickey; Styling: Leslie Byars Simpson
- 1/2 cup finely chopped garlic
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 1 (1 3/4-ounce) package powdered pectin
- 5 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 drops green liquid food coloring (optional)
- Bring garlic and vinegar to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Pour into a glass bowl; cover and let stand 24 hours.
- Pour vinegar mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a 1-cup glass measuring cup, pressing garlic with the back of a spoon to squeeze out liquid; discard solids.
- Bring vinegar mixture, 3 cups water, and pectin to a boil in a 5-quart saucepan, stirring constantly. Add sugar; return to a boil, stirring constantly. Add oil; boil, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and skim off foam with a metal spoon. Add food coloring, if desired.
- Pour hot jelly into hot, sterilized jars, filling to 1/4 inch from top; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling-water bath 5 minutes. Use on grilled chicken, pork, and lamb.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note