Garlic-Herb Roasted Chicken
Add additional moistness and flavor by replacing the wire roasting rack with a colorful rack of carrots and celery ribs. Tuck in a few sprigs of fresh herbs, some unpeeled whole shallots, and apple slices to enhance the flavor of the chicken.
More From Southern Living
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 (4- to 5-lb.) whole chicken
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Stir together first 7 ingredients.
- 2. If applicable, remove giblets from chicken, and reserve for another use. Rinse chicken, and pat dry. Gently loosen and lift skin from breast and drumsticks with fingers. (Do not totally detach skin.) Rub herb mixture evenly underneath skin. Carefully replace skin. Place chicken, breast side up, on a lightly greased wire rack in a lightly greased shallow roasting pan.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°, and bake 45 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in thigh registers 180°, covering loosely with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Let chicken stand, covered, 10 minutes before slicing.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note