This were amazing when they first came out of the oven, later on they were just ok. I also agree that the smoked mozzarella is key.
Garlic Flatbreads with Smoked Mozzarella and Tomato Vinaigrette
Smoked mozzarella infuses this dish with distinctive flavor, though you can substitute regular mozzarella, if you prefer. Serve warm, or prepare in advance and serve at room temperature (store flatbreads and topping separately).
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 139
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 5.3g
- Carbohydrate: 20.2g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 194mg
- Calcium: 73mg
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (about 1 ounce)
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°), divided
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (about 10 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup halved red cherry tomatoes (about 4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup halved yellow cherry tomatoes (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- To prepare flatbreads, lightly spoon whole wheat flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup water, and yeast in a bowl; let stand 10 minutes.
- Lightly spoon all-purpose flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 3/4 cup water in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture, and stir until a dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky). Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 9-inch circle on a lightly floured surface; place on baking sheets sprinkled with cornmeal. Lightly coat dough with cooking spray. Sprinkle dough evenly with sliced garlic; press garlic into dough using fingertips. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until crisp and garlic begins to brown. Remove flatbreads from oven; cool on wire racks.
- To prepare topping, combine vinegar, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and minced garlic in a medium bowl. Add tomatoes; toss gently.
- Preheat broiler.
- Sprinkle each flatbread with 1/2 cup cheese; broil flatbreads 1 minute or until cheese melts. Remove from oven; top each flatbread with half of tomato mixture. Sprinkle each flatbread with 1/4 cup basil. Cut each flatbread into 6 equal wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This