This were amazing when they first came out of the oven, later on they were just ok. I also agree that the smoked mozzarella is key.
Garlic Flatbreads with Smoked Mozzarella and Tomato Vinaigrette
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 139
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 5.3g
- Carbohydrate: 20.2g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 194mg
- Calcium: 73mg
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (about 1 ounce)
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°), divided
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (about 10 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup halved red cherry tomatoes (about 4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup halved yellow cherry tomatoes (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- To prepare flatbreads, lightly spoon whole wheat flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup water, and yeast in a bowl; let stand 10 minutes.
- Lightly spoon all-purpose flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 3/4 cup water in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture, and stir until a dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky). Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 9-inch circle on a lightly floured surface; place on baking sheets sprinkled with cornmeal. Lightly coat dough with cooking spray. Sprinkle dough evenly with sliced garlic; press garlic into dough using fingertips. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until crisp and garlic begins to brown. Remove flatbreads from oven; cool on wire racks.
- To prepare topping, combine vinegar, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and minced garlic in a medium bowl. Add tomatoes; toss gently.
- Preheat broiler.
- Sprinkle each flatbread with 1/2 cup cheese; broil flatbreads 1 minute or until cheese melts. Remove from oven; top each flatbread with half of tomato mixture. Sprinkle each flatbread with 1/4 cup basil. Cut each flatbread into 6 equal wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers