This was really good. The only difference I would make next time is actually used chicken pieces, I used boneless skinless breasts because it was what I had. Although the chicken was very tender it was a little dry. I took the garlic out of the pot and mashed it with my potatos which made a really nice side dish. I served this with a green salad, it was a great satisfying yet healthy dinner.
The garlic becomes creamy and mellows as it cooks. Spread it on chunks of crusty French baguette and soak up the fabulous sauce as you enjoy every morsel of this super-tender chicken. If you're tight on time, substitute 3 pounds of chicken pieces rather than cut up the whole chicken. Also, look for garlic cloves that are already peeled.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 254
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 32.9g
- Carbohydrate: 8.3g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 105mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 297mg
- Calcium: 63mg
- 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 1 (3 1/3-pound) whole chicken, skinned and cut into 8 pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 40 garlic cloves, peeled (about 4 whole heads)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl.
- 2. Discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Heat oil and butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until butter melts. Sprinkle chicken pieces evenly with salt and pepper. Add chicken pieces to pan; cook 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove chicken from pan; place in a 4-quart electric slow cooker.
- 3. Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic to drippings in pan; sauté 1 minute or until garlic begins to brown. Stir in broth mixture, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Boil 2 minutes or until sauce is reduced to about 1 cup. Pour sauce over chicken; sprinkle with thyme. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until chicken is done. Serve sauce and garlic with chicken. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note