I made this tonight. I did not marinade over 2hours. It was great and I will make this again.
Ending 30 days of fasting, Eid ul-Fitr celebrations include an abundance of dishes like this one--full of heady aromas, sweet spices, and lots of flavor. Marinating and cooking the chicken in tangy yogurt keeps it moist, but the yogurt mixture curdles and should be discarded after cooking. Serve the chicken alongside a basmati rice pilaf that's tossed with almonds, raisins, and cumin seeds.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 256
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 42.1g
- Carbohydrate: 5.7g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 101mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 400mg
- Calcium: 104mg
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Combine yogurt, juice, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, cardamom, cumin, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken; seal and marinate in refrigerator overnight, turning bag occasionally.
- Remove chicken from bag, reserving marinade; pat chicken dry with paper towels. Combine reserved marinade and chicken broth.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add half of chicken to pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken. Return chicken to pan; pour broth mixture over chicken. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes or until chicken is done. Place chicken on a serving platter; discard liquid in pan. Sprinkle chicken evenly with parsley.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note