Garlic-Cheese Grits Soufflé
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup uncooked regular grits
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add garlic, and sauté until tender. Stir in 4 cups water and next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Gradually stir in grits. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in egg yolks, cheese, and hot sauce.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with a mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold one-fourth of egg whites into grits. Fold grits into remaining egg whites. Pour into a greased and floured 2-quart soufflé dish; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch