We really enjoyed this recipe, however I did seasoned the wings before I steamed them with a garlic herb mixture. I like the reduced amount of sauce as lately wing sauce recipes have gotten thicker and actually seems like a complete coating on the wings instead an accent. We have fallen out of favor with the traditional fried and even oven baked recipes because of the grease content. This was a welcomed alternative
Garlic-Buffalo Drumettes are a real crowd-pleaser and a breeze to prepare. We eliminate the standard frying method for a no-mess two-step steaming-and-saute method that maintains the plump, juicy goodness of chicken wings. If the skillet gets crowded, brown the chicken in batches.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 35 Minutes
- Calories: 310
- Fat: 16.3g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 36.5g
- Carbohydrate: 2.6g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 196mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 599mg
- Calcium: 87mg
- 20 chicken drumettes, skinned
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1.5 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (1/3 cup)
- 1. Add water to a Dutch oven to a depth of 1 inch; bring to a simmer. Place chicken in a vegetable steamer. Place steamer in pan over water; cover. Reduce heat to medium-low. Steam, covered, 10 minutes. Remove chicken from steamer; cool. Pat dry.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan; sauté 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Add garlic and chives to pan; sauté 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove pan from heat; transfer chicken mixture to a large bowl using a slotted spoon.
- 3. Combine pepper sauce and ground red pepper. Drizzle pepper mixture over chicken; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Variation 1: Sticky Chile Drumettes Prepare Garlic-Buffalo Drumettes through step 2, omitting garlic and chives and adding 1/3 cup chopped green onions and 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger instead. Combine 3 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce (such as Mae Ploy), 1 1/2 tablespoons Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong), 2 teaspoons rice vinegar, and 2 teaspoons fish sauce, stirring well. Drizzle chili mixture over chicken; toss. SERVES 4 (serving size: 5 drumettes) CALORIES 272; FAT 13.2g (sat 2.4g); SODIUM 520mg
- Variation 2: Mango-Serrano Drumettes Prepare Garlic-Buffalo Drumettes through step 2, omitting garlic and chives and adding 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro and 2 thinly sliced serrano chiles instead. Bring 1 (9.6-ounce) can mango nectar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer 15 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup, stirring occasionally. Stir in 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Drizzle mango mixture over chicken mixture; toss. SERVES 4 (serving size: 5 drumettes) CALORIES 297; FAT 13.2g (sat 2.4g); SODIUM 415mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note