Garlic-and-Herb-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
More From Southern Living
Bake: 20 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 392
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 6.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 47.8g
- Carbohydrate: 17.4g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 129mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 660mg
- Calcium: 93mg
- 4 (6-ounce) skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 1 (8-ounce) container light buttery-garlic-and-herb spreadable cheese
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup whole wheat cracker crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to a 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Spread cheese evenly over 1 side of each chicken breast. Fold short ends of each chicken breast over center, covering cheese, and secure with wooden picks.
- Whisk together egg whites and buttermilk in a small bowl. Combine breadcrumbs and next 3 ingredients in a shallow dish. Dip chicken in egg white mixture, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
- Cook chicken breasts in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until chicken breasts are browned. Place chicken on a wire rack, and place the wire rack in a jelly-roll pan.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of chicken breast registers 170°.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Alouette Light Garlic & Herbs Spreadable Cheese, and Neva Betta Whole Wheat Crackers.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note