Garlic-and-Herb Baby Elephant Ears
Frozen puff pastry makes these elegant crisps easy to prepare.
Yield: 5 1/2 dozen
- 1 (17 1/4-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Roll 1 pastry sheet into a 13- x 11-inch rectangle. Stir together butter, garlic, and salt. Brush half of butter mixture over pastry. Sprinkle with half of chives and parsley.
- Roll up pastry, jellyroll fashion, starting with each short side and ending at middle of pastry sheet. Repeat procedure with remaining pastry sheet, butter mixture, and herbs.
- Cut rolls crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Whisk together egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water, and brush evenly over pastries.
- Bake at 375° for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Note: Basil and oregano or other fresh herb combinations may be substituted for chives and parsley.
- Southwestern Baby Elephant Ears: Omit garlic; substitute 1 tablespoon chili powder and 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro for minced herbs.
- Parmesan-Pepper Baby Elephant Ears: Omit garlic; substitute 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 2 teaspoons paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper for minced herbs.
- Baby Elephant Ears Provençale: Substitute 3 tablespoons olive oil for butter. Sauté 3 tablespoons minced onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Stir in 2 tablespoons chopped ripe olives, 2 tablespoons chopped dried tomates, and 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley. Substitute olive mixture for mniced herbs.
- Mushroom-and-Brie petite Elephant Ears: Omit garlic and minced herbs. Sauté 1 1/3 cups finely chopped shiitake mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Spread over pastry, and proceed as directed. Top each pastry with a 1/2-inch cube of brie in last 3 minutes of baking.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note