I substituted baby kale for turnip greens, Beecher's smoked flagship for gruyere and did not peel the potatoes.
Gardener's Pie brings more veggie goodness to the shepherd's pie concept and takes excellent advantage of fresh wintertime veggies.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 10 Hours
- Calories: 389
- Fat: 12.3g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 17.1g
- Carbohydrate: 55.9g
- Fiber: 9.1g
- Cholesterol: 24mg
- Iron: 5.3mg
- Sodium: 391mg
- Calcium: 330mg
- 8 ounces dried black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled celery root
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chopped peeled turnip
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound turnip greens, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1. Sort and wash peas; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above peas; cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain peas.
- 2. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil; swirl. Add onion, celery root, and carrot; sauté 5 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Add peas, 3 cups water, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes or until peas are tender. Discard bay leaf.
- 3. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Add turnip; sauté 3 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in greens and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; sauté 1 minute. Add stock; stir until greens wilt. Cook 15 minutes or until greens are very tender. Remove from heat; stir in sugar and vinegar.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 5. Lightly coat 6 (8-ounce) ramekins with cooking spray. Using a slotted spoon, spoon peas into prepared dish. Top evenly with greens mixture. Layer potatoes evenly over greens; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and cheese. Drizzle with cream. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender and cheese is golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note