Based on other reviews and my own preferences, I made a few changes... 2 zucchini, 2 handfuls of kale, and subbed out the mushrooms for asparagus. Salt and pepper on the veggies when sauteing and added a teaspoon of Italian seasoning to the egg mixture. I also scooped out the seeds of the zucchini and chopped rather than sliced. Took it to a pot luck brunch and it was a hit - I think the veggies were a nice option for people amongst all the bacon/sausage casseroles. Served in a 9x13 casserole dish and it makes for a beautiful presentation w/ the tomatoes on top. Cooked it for about 15-20 minutes longer than the recipe called for - still a little watery but I thought it was delicious! Great recipe!
Garden Vegetable Crustless Quiche
The season's best vegetables and a variety of cheeses make this vegetable quiche a crowd-pleasing and healthy meal that can be assembled the night before, refrigerated and cooked just prior to serving.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 230
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 23g
- Carbohydrate: 18.1g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 84mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 716mg
- Calcium: 382mg
- 1 1/2 cups egg substitute
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extrasharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-ounce) carton fat-free cottage cheese
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups sliced zucchini (about 4)
- 2 cups diced potato with onion (such as Simply Potatoes)
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper (about 1)
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Beat egg substitute and eggs in a large bowl until fluffy. Add 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, 3/4 cup Jack cheese, milk, flour, baking powder, salt, and cottage cheese.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add zucchini and the next 3 ingredients (through mushrooms); sauté for 5 minutes or until tender. Add the zucchini mixture and parsley to egg mixture. Pour mixture into a 3-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Top with the remaining 3/4 cup cheddar cheese and 3/4 cup Jack cheese. Arrange tomato slices over cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove dish from oven), and bake for 35 minutes or until lightly browned and set.
- Note: Substitute corn or spinach for some of the vegetables, if you wish.
- Wine note: Because of its eggy, custardy character, quiche is excellent with chardonnay. But this version goes in a "greener" direction, incorporating lots of zucchini, bell pepper, and parsley. So serve it with sauvignon blanc, a wine that has a touch of green flavor. Try the Honig Sauvignon Blanc 2005 from Napa Valley, California ($15). --Karen MacNeil
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This