I used home canned tomatoes, winter squash instead of zucchini and yellow squash and kale instead of spinach. Also, I made my own chicken stock. I thought that the winter squash was a nice addition and added a little sweetness. I have yet to try it with the cheese but I'm sure it will only make it better.
Bursting with the goodness of seven vegetables.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups soup and 2 tablespoons cheese)
More From Cooking Light
Total: 58 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 217
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 12.6g
- Carbohydrate: 30.5g
- Fiber: 7.9g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 812mg
- Calcium: 206mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chopped yellow squash
- 3 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 4 cups chopped tomato, divided
- 3 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked ditalini pasta (very short tube-shaped macaroni)
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated Asiago cheese
- Coarsely ground black pepper (optional)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until softened. Add oregano and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in squash, zucchini, carrot, and corn; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat.
- Place 3 cups tomato and 1 can broth in a blender; process until smooth. Add tomato mixture to pan; return pan to heat. Stir in remaining 1 cup tomato and remaining 2 cans broth; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add pasta and beans to pan; cook 10 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Ladle soup into individual bowls; top with cheese. Garnish with coarsely ground black pepper, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note