You can make the Garden Tomato Juice up to 1 week ahead. It will yield 1 qt. homemade tomato juice, or enough for 8 cocktails.
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 40 Minutes
- Garden Tomato Juice
- 3 pounds very ripe red or yellow tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups chopped celery with leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lime wedge
- 1/2 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 fresh basil sprig
- 1/4 cup gin
- Garnishes: cucumber spears, celery ribs, fresh basil sprigs, lime wedges
- 1. Prepare Tomato Juice: Bring tomatoes and next 4 ingredients to a simmer in a large nonaluminum saucepan over medium heat; simmer 25 minutes or until mixture is soft. Cool 30 minutes. Process, in 2 batches, in a blender until smooth. Pour through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a container, discarding solids. Cover and chill 2 hours.
- 2. Prepare Cocktail: Combine kosher salt and parsley. Rub rim of a glass with lime wedge; dip rim in salt mixture to coat. Muddle tomato and basil sprig against sides of glass to release flavors. Fill glass with ice. Stir in gin and 1/2 cup Garden Tomato Juice. Sprinkle with ground pepper.
Total time includes the tomato juice
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note