Garden Caesar Salad
Notes: If you are concerned about bacteria in the uncooked egg yolks, or if there is a risk of salmonella in your area, use eggs pasteurized in the shell (available in some supermarkets). Marinated fresh anchovies have silver skin and a more delicate flavor than the standard anchovies canned in olive oil. They are available at some Italian markets and in specialty food stores.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 231
- Calories from fat: 78%
- Protein: 7g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Carbohydrate: 8.6g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 227mg
- Cholesterol: 113mg
- 12 diagonal slices (1/4 in. thick) baguette (about 1/4 of an 8-oz. loaf)
- About 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 canned anchovy fillets, drained and minced (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 3 large egg yolks (see notes)
- 1 pound romaine lettuce (1 large or 2 small heads), rinsed, crisped, and large leaves torn into large pieces (leave small inner leaves whole)
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- Fresh-ground pepper
- 4 radishes, stemmed and rinsed
- 8 marinated fresh anchovies (optional; see notes)
- 1. Brush one side of each baguette slice with olive oil. Cut garlic clove in half and rub a cut side lightly over oiled side of each slice. Place slices oiled side up on a 10- by 15-inch baking sheet. Bake in a 350º regular or convection oven until crisp and golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Let croutons cool.
- 2. Meanwhile, mince or press 1 teaspoon garlic from remainder of garlic clove. In a 1- to 2-cup glass measure, combine 5 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, minced anchovies, Worcestershire, and minced garlic. In a large salad bowl, whisk egg yolks to blend. Whisking constantly, pour olive oil mixture slowly into egg yolks, pausing to whisk occasionally so that mixture forms a smooth emulsion.
- 3. Add romaine and parmesan to bowl and mix gently to coat. Grind pepper into salad to taste. Mound equally on plates. Very thinly slice 4 radishes and sprinkle over salads. Arrange croutons alongside; if desired, drape marinated anchovies, skin side up, over croutons.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note