- 4 small whole lettuces (single-serving size), such as Garden Babies or Little Gem
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons finely cut chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill, tarragon, or fennel leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Chive pieces (4 to 5 in. long)
- Small, tender dill, tarragon, or fennel sprigs
- Edible flowers, such as whole nasturtiums and violas, or petals from roses or carnations
- Paper-thin radish slices (optional)
- calories 168
- caloriesfromfat 95 %
- protein 0.8 g
- fat 19 g
- satfat 2.7 g
- carbohydrate 1.7 g
- fiber 0.7 g
- sodium 98 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Trim ends from lettuces, keeping leaves attached to base. Rinse gently but thoroughly. Drain, then wrap in kitchen towels and chill about 15 minutes to crisp.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, chives, dill, salt, pepper, and oil.
Set each lettuce on its base in a shallow soup bowl (for upright varieties like Little Gem, first crack leaves near their base so they splay out). Tuck in chive pieces, dill sprigs, and whole flowers. Scatter with flower petals and radishes, if you like. Serve with dressing on the side.