- 1 onion (about 8 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 2 fresh jalapeño chilies (2 to 3 oz. total), rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 can (15 to 16 oz.) garbanzos, drained
- 2 to 3 firm-ripe tomatoes (1 lb. total), rinsed, cored, and chopped (including juice)
- About 1 cup plain yogurt
- calories 192
- caloriesfromfat 31 %
- protein 8.7 g
- fat 6.6 g
- satfat 1.1 g
- carbohydrate 26 g
- fiber 5.8 g
- sodium 170 mg
- cholesterol 3.4 mg
How to Make It
In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, combine onion, chilies, ginger, and oil; stir often until onion is lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, curry powder, garam masala, and sugar; stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in garbanzos and all but 1/2 cup of the tomatoes, then add 1/2 cup water. Boil over medium-high heat, stirring often, until tomatoes have disintegrated and most of the liquid has boiled away, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in 1 cup yogurt, and season to taste with salt.
Pour into a bowl; top with remaining chopped cilantro, chopped tomatoes, and more yogurt to taste.