This is a super easy & tasty dish. I just made it (through step 4) & will serve it tomorrow. But I tasted a little with the watercress & it was great. I'm wondering if it would make a big difference if I add all of the watercress now? Hmm. I'm afraid it'll get was too soggy/limp, etc. if I add it now. But I am afraid if I don't add it, the watercress will not stay until tomorrow. I'll take my chances & just add it tomorrow.
Garbanzo and Watercress Soup
Notes: Bright green watercress adds a peppery bite to this simple garbanzo soup. For a vegetarian dish, use vegetable broth. Prepare through step 4 up to 1 day ahead; cover garbanzo mixture and watercress separately and chill. Reheat garbanzo mixture and continue.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 201
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Protein: 19g
- Fat: 3.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 13g
- Sodium: 470mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 onion (3/4 lb.)
- 2 carrots (1/2 lb. total)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cans (15 oz. each) reduced-sodium garbanzos
- 2 quarts fat-skimmed chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 pound watercress
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Peel and chop onion, carrots, and garlic. In a 4- to 5-quart nonstick pan over high heat, stir vegetables in olive oil until onion is limp, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 2. Drain and rinse garbanzos. Add garbanzos and broth to pan. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer until carrots are tender when pierced, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, remove and discard any yellow or wilted leaves from watercress; rinse and drain watercress. Pluck off about 2 cups tender sprigs (about 3 in. long). Chop enough remaining watercress, including stems, to make about 1/2 cup; reserve remainder for another use or discard.
- 4. Working in batches, whirl all but 4 1/2 cups garbanzo mixture in a blender until smooth, holding lid down with a towel. Return purée to pan with remaining garbanzo mixture.
- 5. Stir often over high heat until boiling; add watercress sprigs and chopped watercress and stir until wilted, about 30 seconds. Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into bowls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note