Very tasty! Easy to make and nice on a cold night. I added chopped green bell pepper for some extra veggies.
Notes: If you prefer a very mild curry, reduce or omit the cayenne.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 264
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 37g
- Fiber: 8.2g
- Sodium: 457mg
- Cholesterol: 1.1mg
- 1 onion (8 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (see notes)
- 2 cans (15 1/2 oz. each) garbanzos, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes
- About 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, stir onion, ginger, and garlic in oil until onion just begins to brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Add curry powder, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and cayenne and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 2. Add garbanzos and tomatoes (including juice). Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors, about 5 minutes. If mixture is thicker than desired, stir in a little water to thin. Add salt to taste. Spoon into serving dishes.
- 3. Serve with yogurt on the side.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note