- 1 onion (8 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (see notes)
- 2 cans (15 1/2 oz. each) garbanzos, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes
- About 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- calories 264
- caloriesfromfat 26 %
- protein 13 g
- fat 7.7 g
- satfat 0.7 g
- carbohydrate 37 g
- fiber 8.2 g
- sodium 457 mg
- cholesterol 1.1 mg
How to Make It
In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, stir onion, ginger, and garlic in oil until onion just begins to brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Add curry powder, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and cayenne and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add garbanzos and tomatoes (including juice). Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors, about 5 minutes. If mixture is thicker than desired, stir in a little water to thin. Add salt to taste. Spoon into serving dishes.
Serve with yogurt on the side.