Very good. Hearty. Fairly easy to make, fairly cheap as well. I divided it into 5 servings.
Garbanzo and Greens Stew
There are two types of chorizo sausage in American markets. Mexican chorizo is raw, spiced pork that resembles breakfast sausage, and Spanish chorizo is cured, spiced pork, similar to smoked sausage or salami. Though Mexican chorizo would be more traditional in this soup, it is often much fattier than the Spanish version. If you can't find Spanish chorizo, substitute smoked sausage or kielbasa. Any Swiss chard will work; however, if the stems are red, the soup will have a red hue.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 401
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Fat: 14.3g
- Saturated fat: 5.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 19.4g
- Carbohydrate: 50.9g
- Fiber: 9.2g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Iron: 4.3mg
- Sodium: 972mg
- Calcium: 182mg
- 4 dried guajillo chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 8 ounces chopped Spanish chorizo sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 9 cups coarsely chopped Swiss chard (about 3/4 pound)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, undrained (such as Muir Glen)
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled queso fresco
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat. Place chiles in pan; flatten with a spatula. Cook 5 seconds on each side or until blackened. Combine toasted chiles and 2 cups boiling water in a bowl; let stand 20 minutes or until soft. Place the chile mixture in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, chopped chorizo, and minced garlic; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Add the pureed chile mixture, Swiss chard, and next 5 ingredients (through tomatoes); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Serve soup with tortillas; sprinkle with queso fresco.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note