- 2 (1 1/2-pound) Rock Cornish game hens
- teaspoon Southern France Spice Mix
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2 cups (1-inch) French bread cubes (about 2 [1-ounce] slices)
- 1 cup chopped peeled Rome apple
- 1/4 pound diced smoked turkey sausage
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted prunes
- 1 teaspoon Southern France Spice Mix
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices French bread
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup cranberry juice cocktail
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon Southern France Spice Mix
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Fresh sage (optional)
- calories 638
- caloriesfromfat 31 %
- fat 22 g
- satfat 5.9 g
- monofat 7.9 g
- polyfat 5.5 g
- protein 42.5 g
- carbohydrate 67.3 g
- fiber 3.8 g
- cholesterol 83 mg
- iron 5 mg
- sodium 604 mg
- calcium 76 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
For the hens: Remove and reserve giblets and necks from hens. Rinse hens under cold water, and pat dry. Halve hens lengthwise; trim excess fat. Loosen skin from breasts and drumsticks by inserting fingers and gently pushing between skin and meat. Rub 1/2 teaspoon Southern France Spice Mix beneath skin of each hen half. Set aside.
For the stuffing: Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 cup shallots; sauté 2 minutes. Add bread cubes and next 7 ingredients (bread cubes through salt); cook 1 minute, stirring until well-blended. Remove from heat.
Arrange bread slices in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Spoon 3/4 cup stuffing mixture onto each bread slice. Place 1 hen half, skin side up, over each mound of stuffing mixture. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
For the sauce: Combine boiling water and 2 tablespoons cranberries in a small bowl. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain.
Cook giblets, necks, 2 tablespoons shallots, and peppercorns in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned. Add apple and cranberry juices; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup. Strain through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Return liquid to skillet. Combine wine and cornstarch in a bowl; stir well. Add cornstarch mixture, rehydrated cranberries, lemon juice, and 1/8 teaspoon Southern France Spice Mix to skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thick; stir constantly. Serve with hens and stuffing. Garnish with parsley and sage, if desired.