This was excellent!! I did though, like another reviewer, add some crushed walnuts to the panko mixture and a tub of feta cheese to the end product! YUMMY!! Very good and quick meal :)
Fusilli with Caramelized Spring Onions and White Wine
Spring onions are those that have been harvested early—they look like scallions with large white bulbs. If they're unavailable, use Vidalia onions. Rotini (corkscrew pasta) will work in place of fusilli.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 364
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 9.5g
- Carbohydrate: 55.6g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 438mg
- Calcium: 35mg
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced spring onions (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces uncooked fusilli (short twisted spaghetti)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Combine panko, 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon garlic, and a dash of salt in a small bowl. Spread panko mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 6 minutes or until golden brown, stirring after 3 minutes. Cool.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add onions to pan; cook 20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add remaining 1 teaspoon garlic and wine. Increase heat to medium-high; cook 1 minute. Add broth; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup (about 4 minutes).
- 4. Cook pasta in boiling water with 1 tablespoon kosher salt according to package directions, omitting additional fat. Drain. Add pasta, remaining salt, and pepper to onion mixture; toss gently. Place about 1 cup pasta in each of 4 shallow bowls; sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons panko mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note