1. In a colander, sprinkle the eggplant with a salt and let drain for 30 minutes. Press the eggplant to remove moisture and pat dry with paper towel.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine 2 T of oil, garlic, onion, and red pepper flakes and saute until the garlic browns, the onions are translucent, and the pepper flakes are clear bright red.
3. Add the basil and tomatoes and heat over low to medium heat for 15 minutes. Remove dried red pepper.
4. In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook the eggplant in 2T oil until it has softened, about 6-8 minutes.
5. Combine the eggplant with the tomato sauce.
6. In 6-quart kettle over high heat, bring the water to a rolling boil and add the 1t oil. Add fusilli and cook until al dente.Drain.
7. Use 1/2C sauce for each serving and serve at room temp. Or freeze sauce.
Go to full version of