Fudgy Peppermint Candy Brownies
These dense brownies are for the true chocolate-mint lover, like me. The crunchy crumb crust is topped with a fudgy mint brownie and frosted with melted chocolate-peppermint candies.--Elizabeth Luckett
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 10 chocolate-covered peppermint patties, chopped (we tested with York)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 3 (1-ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract (not flavoring)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 14 chocolate-covered peppermint patties, halved
- Line a 9" square pan with foil, allowing foil to extend over ends of pan; grease foil. Stir together first 3 ingredients; press into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Sprinkle chopped peppermint patties over warm crust.
- While crust is baking, combine 1/2 cup butter and chocolate squares in a glass bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until butter melts; stir until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Stir in sugar, eggs, vanilla, and peppermint extract. Add flour and salt; stir well. Pour over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 33 minutes. Remove from oven, and immediately sprinkle with halved peppermint patties. Bake 2 1/2 more minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool 1 minute. Spread and swirl softened patties over brownies. (Don't wait too long before swirling or candy may be too firm to spread.) Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Lift brownies out of pan; cut into squares.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note