I might give these six stars, if I could. True enough, the "batter" was more like heavy dough, but a wonderfully, fudgy, gooey brownie is the result. I took care not to over-bake, per other reviewer comments and the fact that I was using a glass pan which I understand to bake faster. They were shared with kids and grownups and every last one was crazy for them, having seconds in spite of the richness. Lacked the toffee and can only imagine how that would be a fun addition, or, maybe, crumbled Heath bars? Mmm.
Fudgy Mocha-Toffee Brownies
Best Bar Cookie. These gooey bars are as rich as anything you'll find in a bakery. They are a welcome treat in a lunch box, as a weeknight dessert, or any time you need a sweet treat. --Recipe by Kathleen Kanen (January/February 2005)
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 145
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 24.9g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 121mg
- Calcium: 23mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup toffee chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat bottom of a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine coffee granules and 1/4 cup hot water, stirring until the coffee granules dissolve.
- Combine butter and semisweet chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH for 1 minute or until butter melts; stir until chocolate is smooth.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine coffee mixture, butter mixture, vanilla extract, and eggs in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add coffee mixture to flour mixture; stir just until combined. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle evenly with toffee chips. Bake at 350° for 22 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Fudgy Mocha-Toffee Brownies Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Freezable, Gifts, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Chocolate
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Sodium
- COOKING METHOD: Microwave, Bake
- OCCASION: Autumn, Spring, Summer, Winter, Father's Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Valentine's Day
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light