Photo: Ralph Anderson
The low baking temperature and longer cooking time ensure a completely baked meringue topping without overbrowning.
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 2/3 cups DIXIE CRYSTALS Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (11-ounce) package reduced-fat chocolate wafers
- 6 large bananas
- 1/3 cup DIXIE CRYSTALS Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan. Whisk in milk, half-and-half, and egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat, and stir in chocolate morsels and 1 tablespoon vanilla.
- Reserve 14 wafers; arrange one-third of remaining chocolate wafers in the bottom of a 4-quart baking dish. Slice 2 bananas, and layer over wafers. Top with one-third of pudding mixture. Repeat layers twice; arrange reserved wafers around edge of dish.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Spread meringue over pudding, sealing to edge of dish.
- Bake at 325° for 25 minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note