I thought this was good, but not excellent. After eating it once, I added some lemon pepper and some freshly ground pepper (per my husband's request). I did like the freshness, especially with the tuna.
Fruity Tuna-Salad Pita Sandwiches
Shanelle loves easy-to-make recipes like this one. These sandwiches taste great and pair protein with carbohydrates to keep your energy level up. You can substitute one (9-ounce) can of solid white tuna in water, drained, for the tuna steak.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 227
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 17.9g
- Carbohydrate: 26.6g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 218mg
- Calcium: 47mg
- 1 hard-cooked egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash of black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) tuna steak
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 (8-ounce) can unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 2 (5-inch) whole-wheat pitas, cut in half
- 1 1/3 cups torn Bibb lettuce
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) tomato slices
- Slice egg in half lengthwise, and remove yolk; reserve egg yolk for another use. Dice egg white halves; set aside.
- Prepare grill or broiler.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice and pepper over tuna. Place the tuna on a grill or broiler rack coated with cooking spray; cook 4 minutes on each side until tuna is medium-rare or desired degree of doneness. Coarsely chop tuna.
- Combine tuna, diced egg white, celery, and the next 5 ingredients (celery through pineapple) in a bowl. Line each pita half with 1/3 cup lettuce and 2 tomato slices. Divide the tuna mixture evenly among pita halves.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches