Fruited Steak Roll
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) flank steak
- 1 large tart apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 (8-ounce) package prunes
- Pound steak to 1/8-inch thickness. Combine apple, breadcrumbs, onion, celery, salt, and sage. Spoon stuffing onto steak, spreading to within 1/2 inch of edge. Roll up jellyroll fashion; tie with string to secure stuffing.
- Brown steak roll on both sides in hot bacon drippings in a Dutch oven. Add hot water and vinegar. Cover and simmer 45 minutes over low heat. Turn steak roll; add prunes, and simmer an additional 40 minutes or until steak is tender.
- Remove string. Place steak roll on a serving platter; spoon prunes around steak. Pour gravy over steak; slice and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note