Bland and uninteresting. The fruits add nothing. It even looks unappetizing given skinless chicken breasts and apple -- very white. The few cranberries don't fix that problem. Skip this one!
Fruited Chicken Ragoût
- 6 skinned and boned chicken breast halves
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dried apple rings, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Place chicken breast halves between two sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4" thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Combine flour, salt, and red pepper in a shallow dish; dredge chicken in mixture, shaking off excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot; add half of chicken, and brown on both sides. Remove from skillet, and set aside. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and chicken.
- Place half of chicken in bottom of a 3 1/2- or 4-quart electric slow cooker; top with onion, garlic, dried apple, and dried cranberries. Top with remaining chicken. Combine chicken broth and allspice; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on HIGH setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Or cook on HIGH setting for 1 hour; reduce heat and cook on LOW 4 to 4 1/2 hours. Serve with hot cooked rice, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This