Fruitcake Slice 'N' Bakes
Perfect for last-minute company, this dough can be stored in the refrigerator up to 1 week, or frozen up to 1 month.
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 10 Minutes
- 1 cup candied fruit
- 1 teaspoon firmly packed orange zest
- 1 teaspoon loosely packed lemon zest
- 1/4 cup spiced or dark rum
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cane syrup*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Parchment paper
- 1. Soak candied fruit, orange zest, and lemon zest in spiced or dark rum 30 minutes.
- 2. Beat butter and next 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 to 3 minutes or until creamy.
- 3. Add flour; beat until blended. Stir in fruit mixture. Divide dough into 4 portions, and shape each portion into an 8- x 2-inch log. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour.
- 4. Whisk together egg and 1 Tbsp. water. Unwrap logs, and brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle chopped walnuts over logs, pressing to adhere, and rewrap. Chill 30 minutes.
- 5. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut logs into 1/4-inch-thick slices; place 1 inch apart on 2 parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 10 to 14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned, switching pans halfway through. Cool on baking sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks, and cool.
- *Sorghum or honey may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note