Fruit Wands with Vanilla-Rum Syrup
Notes: You'll need about 50 thin wood skewers. If making up to 2 hours ahead, let fruit stand in syrup. Use leftover syrup to flavor glasses of iced sparkling water.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 149
- Calories from fat: 1.8%
- Protein: 0.4g
- Fat: 0.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 33g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Sodium: 1.4mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (about 7 in.) or 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup rum
- 2 tablespoons long, thin shreds of orange peel
- 2 star fruit (about 6 oz. total), rinsed
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and rinsed
- 1. Put sugar in a 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan. Using a small, sharp knife, slit vanilla bean lengthwise. Scrape seeds from pod into sugar; add pod to sugar. Stir in rum, orange peel, and 2 cups water.
- 2. Stir often over high heat until mixture boils and is reduced to 1 3/4 cups, about 12 minutes. Remove vanilla pod (let dry and store airtight for other uses). Let syrup cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, trim and discard ends from star fruit; cut fruit crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Using a small, sharp knife, remove any seeds.
- 4. Poke sharp end of 1 skewer through skin edge of each star fruit piece. Also poke 1 skewer through each pineapple chunk and strawberry.
- 5. Put skewers, fruit ends down, in a deep bowl. Pour syrup over fruit. Provide napkins to catch drips as guests pick up wands to eat.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note