Yield: 7 loaves
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (105° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm vegetable oil (105° to 115°)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 (15-ounce) package golden raisins, finely minced
- 2 (8-ounce) packages dried apricots, finely minced
- 2 (7-ounce) cans flaked coconut
- 1 lemon, seeded and finely minced
- 1 orange, seeded and finely minced
- 1 (16-ounce) jar red maraschino cherries, drained and finely minced
- 2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 2 (10-ounce) jars apricot preserves
- 1 (16-ounce) jar peach preserves
- 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- Vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cups coarsely chopped pecans, divided
- Sifted powdered sugar
- Combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine water and oil; add to dry ingredients, mixing well. Add eggs; mix well. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Cover dough with a warm bowl, and let rest 30 minutes.
- Combine next 7 ingredients in a large mixing bowl, mixing well. Add preserves and pineapple; mix well. Set aside.
- Divide dough into 7 equal portions. Roll 1 portion into a 15- x 10-inch rectangle, rolling as thin as possible without tearing. Brush surface of dough with oil. Combine cinnamon and 1/4 cup sugar; sprinkle 2 teaspoons sugar mixture evenly over surface of dough. Set remaining sugar mixture aside.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups fruit mixture along wide end of dough, leaving a 1-inch margin along outside edges. Sprinkle 1/4 cup pecans over fruit mixture.
- Starting at wide end, roll up jellyroll fashion, turning edges under. Pinch seams together to seal. Place on a well-greased baking sheet; brush top with oil. Sprinkle lightly with reserved sugar mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining portions of dough.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks. Cut into 1- inch pieces, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts